top of page


At Tri-Valley, we're all about belonging. From the time you call and are interested in services, our team is here to guide you through every step so you or your loved one can find the services that fit their needs and help them reach their full potential.

Entering the I/DD system can be overwhelming for everyone involved. We're confident our experienced and caring team can help you navigate the system and find the best path.

Take the first steps today by learning more about our services and programs. We're passionate about belonging and we want you here!

Frequently asked questions

How do I enter I/DD services:

  1. Contact Tri-Valley's Case Management Department to get started. They will take you to the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) to complete an application.

    • Eligibility is typically the first step (see "Eligibility Criteria" section)

    • Services can be provided from birth to death

    • Referrals can come from anywhere (school, doctor, parent, guardian, etc.)

  2. Once eligible, the individual will choose a case manager who will help them navigate the complex system. Case managers will:

    • Assist with Medicaid qualifications

    • Navigate other resources such as Social Security and HUD

    • Broker community service offerings to best suit the needs of the individual

    • Help with HCBS waiver access

  3. The case manager will also help connect the individual with access to the HCBS Waiver. There is typically a waiting list for this waiver, and the application will undergo a rigorous review before being accepted. The case manager will be able to help the individuals answer any questions about the process. Special Notes for Children:

    • A person’s eligibility to receive services is not dependent on income or Social Security eligibility.

    • Social Security is not required until the individual’s 19th birthday.

    • For children who receive Medicaid Waiver services, only the income and assets of the child are considered in determining Medicaid eligibility.

    • Currently, there is a multi-year waiting list for adult services. The earlier they apply – the better.

Eligibility Criteria for Developmental Disability

  • Developmental Disability means substantial limitation in functioning manifested during the time from birth to age 18. This is characterized by significantly below average intellectual functioning and deficits in adaptive behavior. Developmental Disability includes limitations in two or more of the following adaptive skill areas:

    • Communication

    • Self-care

    • Home Living

    • Social Skills

    • Community Use

    • Self-direction

    • Health and safety

    • Functional academics

    • Leisure

    • Work

Developmental Disability is a condition that includes autism, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, and other physical and mental impairments. These conditions can result in severe chronic limitations such as:

  • Self-care

  • Learning and adapting

  • Living independently

  • Understanding and using language

  • Mobility

  • Economic self-sufficiency

  • Self-direction in setting and accomplishing goals

This does not include individuals who are solely emotionally disturbed or have mental illness. This also does not include those who have disabilities exclusively because of aging.

Developmental disabilities in children under the age of six are defined as a severe chronic disability which:

  • Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of mental and physical impairments.

  • Results in at least three developmental delays as measured by qualified professionals.

  • Reflects a need for a combination and sequence of special, interdisciplinary or generic care throughout their lifetime.

 How do I move my family member into residential services?

  • Tri-Valley will provide all the necessary information and steps to move a family member into residential services through the support and guidance of the person’s case manager.  The case manager walks alongside a person served, and their family, so the transitions into services can be seamless.

What services are funded by Medicaid?

  • There are many services covered by Medicaid.  The Medicaid services that fund services provided by organizations like Tri-Valley are called Home and Community Based Services – Intellectual/Developmental Disability Waiver.

How long can my child with disabilities remain in the school system?

  • A student with an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) can remain in school until the age of 22.

What is available to my child with disabilities after graduation?

  • There are many choices available after graduation: employment, community activities, recreation activities, technology activities, living outside the family home, as well as living inside of the family home.

If something were to happen to me, what happens with my child?

  • Tri-Valley has been serving people with disabilities since 1973.  If a parent or family member is no longer a part of the person’s life, Tri-Valley will step in, and with other community resources that might be needed, be certain all needs that the person served has had will continue to be met

Interested in beginning referral process?

If you live in Allen, Bourbon, Neosho, or Woodson counties, please contact the TVDS CDDO at 620-433-5006.


bottom of page